Molecular biology – Researcher position to join the Exposure and Effects Unit at ACES, at Department of Environmental Science, Stockholm University, Sweden
Deadline to Apply
May 23, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Molecular biology|
– Environmental microbiology
– Copepod microbiome analysis
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Department of Environmental Science|
|Contract Period||4 Months|
|Starting date||May 23, 2021|
Researchers are appointed primarily for purposes of research and must hold a Swedish doctoral degree or an equivalent degree from another country.
A successful candidate should have experience in the molecular biology, environmental microbiology, copepod microbiome analysis, and plankton ecology in the Baltic Sea. Applicants should have demonstrated experience in laboratory and field research on molecular analysis of zooplankton.
Special attention will be given to research skills. The selection is based primarily on scientific excellence and documented experience in the relevant fields.
The following selection criteria should be addressed in the application:
- At least 3-4 years of post doctoral experience in microbiology and/or plankton ecology.
- Documented skills in molecular methods.
- High quality publications showing the capacity to conduct and publish research in environmental microbiology, both basic and applied.
Responsibilities/ Job Description
To identify cyanotoxin degraders in bacterial communities associated with copepods using qPCR and NGS approaches.
How to Apply?
To apply, please click the Apply Online link above. The instructions for applicants are available at: How to apply for a position.
Please include the following information with your application
- Your contact details and personal data
- Your highest degree
- Your language skills
- Contact details for 2 references
and, in addition, please include the following documents
- Cover letter
- CV – degrees and other completed courses, work experience and a list of publications
- Research proposal (no more than 2 pages) describing:
– why you are interested in the field/project described in the advertisement
– what makes you suitable for the project in question
- Copy of PhD diploma
- Letters of recommendation (no more than 2 files)
- Publications in support of your application (no more than 3 files).
About Research project
We are seeking a researcher to join the Exposure and Effects Unit at ACES. The work is focused on the copepod microbiome analysis, in association with ongoing projects on exposure effects of cyanotoxins. The overall research seeks to understand biofilm formation in the animal gut under various exposure scenarios during cyanobacterial blooms using Baltic copepods. We take a broad and multidisciplinary approach, which spans basic biology, environmental microbiology and environmental chemistry, to improve mechanistic understanding of the host-microbiome interactions. See project details at https://link.growkudos.com/1qg7cx00i68.
About the Department
The Department of Environmental Science is one of the biggest departments at the Faculty of Science. The department is divided into four units with more than 170 researchers, teachers, doctoral students and technical/administrative staff from over 30 countries. Research and teaching focuses on chemical contaminants, atmospheric science, biogeochemistry and (eco)toxicology. As an employee at the Department of Environmental Science you will be part of a dynamic environment with research in leading research areas and with a strong international profile.
Dr. Rehab El-Shehawy
Prof. Elena Gorokhova
Post expires at 8:59am on Monday May 24th, 2021 (GMT+9)