Research assistant in Natural Sciences for the fish and crustacean diseases unit, at DTU Aqua, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
May 25, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||Natural Sciences|
|Scholarship||According to standard norms|
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||3 Years|
|Starting date||As soon as possible|
As a formal qualification, you must have a master’s degree as Civ.ing, MSc, DVM or equivalent.
Practical knowledge with Oxford Nanopore Technologies, e-DNA and basic bioinformatics analysis would be a clear advantage. Similarly, experience with full genome sequencing (viral/bacteria) would be advantageous.
It is particularly important that the candidate have good collaborative skills. A person with previous experience or interested in fish diseases will be preferred. The candidate must be ambitious and with a motivation for entering a PhD program in aquatic animal disease science if funding can be provided. It is expected that the results obtained will be published in international journals with the candidate as first or co-author
As research assistant, your main responsibility will be to support and generate data for different research projects carried out at the Unit. This work will include:
- Participation in research projects, being part of project implementation, data generation, and reporting. This will mainly include externally funding projects, but occasionally diagnostic duties in cases/projects may be relevant.
- Responsibility for implementation of NGS techniques in the laboratory for pathogen targeting (full genome analyses), pathogen discovery (metagenomics) and microbiome analyses in relation to infection, and/or disease treatment.
- Use of Oxford Nanopore Technologies, and in some cases Illumina sequencing.
- Participation in training activities.
- Implementation and troubleshooting of different molecular diagnostic assays.
- Data analysis and reporting.
- Generation of protocols and SOPs for laboratory use.
Most of these tasks will be done in collaboration with researches, technicians and other members of the group. However, the applicant should also be able to work independently in the laboratory carrying out a range of practical tasks.
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
- Application (cover letter)
- Academic Diplomas (MSc)
About National Institute of Aquatic Resources (DTU Aqua)
National Institute of Aquatic Resources (DTU Aqua) conducts research, provides advice, educates at university level and contributes to innovation in sustainable exploitation and management of aquatic resources. We investigate the biology and population ecology of aquatic organisms, aquatic physical and chemical processes and ecosystem structure and dynamics, taking account of all relevant natural and anthropogenic drivers.
- The appointment is full-time and will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Professor Niels Jørgen Olesen on 3588 6831 / 2924 4310 (mobile).
Post expires at 8:59am on Wednesday May 26th, 2021 (GMT+9)