2 Postdoctoral fellowships in Synergy project “Effects of bacteria on atmospheres of Earth, Mars, and exoplanets”, in Niels Bohr Institute, the Department of Chemistry and the Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Deadline to Apply
Apr 15, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +2)
|No. of Position(s)||2|
|Research Area||Exolife Science, Biology, Physics, Astronomy and Chemistry|
|Salary||436.730 DKK / Annum|
|Workplace||Niels Bohr Institute, Department of Chemistry & Department of Biology, UCPH, Denmark|
|Contract Period||2 Years|
PhD degree in related fields
Project 1 Physiological adaptations and genomic characterization of microbial extremophiles
The main goal of this project, titled “Physiological adaptations and genomic characterization of microbial extremophiles”, is to manipulate the genomes of selected bacterial, archaeal and fungal isolates in order to enhance their abilities to survive and/or sustain activity under extreme environmental conditions, e.g. simulated Martian conditions. The genomic manipulations will include microbial taxa where stable genomic constructs often prove challenging to establish, e.g. cyanobacteria. The work will include genetic and physiological characterization of the main isolates to establish the genetic and physiological background for microbial adaptations to the main environmental challenges relating to life on other planets.
The postdoc’s duties will include research within biology, physics, astronomy or chemistry, as well as teaching. The post may also include performance of other duties.
The main goal of this project, titled “Synthetic spectra of exoplanet atmospheres with and without biological activity”, is to develop models for non-equilibrium atmospheric chemistry caused by the existence of life forms, including the influence of gasses produced by micro-organisms in our lab experiments. The focus is on the reaction networks and associated spectrum computation, but can also involve related experimental work and ab initio computations.
The postdoc’s duties will include research within astronomy, chemistry, physics, or biology, as well as teaching. The post may also include performance of other duties.
How to Apply?
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW mentioned above
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Description of current and past research and your vision about how your experience could further the research project outlined above
- Complete publication list
- Reference to 3 of your papers that you consider particularly relevant
- Interviews are tentatively scheduled to be held online during May 2021, with potential offers being issued soon thereafter.
- Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
- The starting salary is currently up to DKK 436.730 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.681). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
- For more information, please see https://cels.nbi.ku.dk/english/openings/
Professor Anders Priemé
Department of Biology
Direct phone: (+45) 51827033
Professor Uffe Gråe Jørgensen
Niels Bohr Institute
Direct phone: (+45) 61 30 66 40
Professor Henrik Grum Kjærgaard
Department of Chemistry
Direct phone: (+45) 35 32 03 34
Postdoc of Exolife Science, project 1 in the synergy project: “Effects of bacteria on atmospheres of Earth, Mars, and exoplanets”, at the Department of Boilogy
Postdoc of Exolife Science, Project 2 in the synergy project: “Effects of bacteria on atmospheres of Earth, Mars, and exoplanets at the Niels Bohr Institute
Post expires at 8:59am on Friday April 16th, 2021 (GMT+9)