2 Postdoc positions in Sugar Cracking to Value Added Chemicals, in the CHEC research group at the Department of Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
Apr 20, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||2|
|Research Area||Chemical Engineering|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||CHEC research group|
Department of Chemical Engineering
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||2 Years|
|Starting date||Mention the date|
You should have a PhD degree within chemistry/chemical engineering (position 1) and chemistry/chemical engineering/mechanical engineering (position 2).
Responsibilities/ Job Description
Position 1 involves:
- Setting up a test unit for fast screening of bed materials with a high throughput and with representative process conditions.
- Identification and synthesis of materials based on a literature search and knowledge of the relevant chemistry of the sugar cracking process. Synthesis work can be carried out at HTAS and/or DTU, depending on required equipment. The synthesized materials should be characterized by relevant methods available at DTU and Haldor Topsøe.
- Experimental testing of the synthesized materials in the constructed test unit. Materials with interesting activity and selectivity will be further tested in a fluidized bed test setup.
Position 2 involves:
- Construction of a microscale hot test setup for studying the interaction between bed particles and sugar droplets. The setup should be equipped with a high-speed camera, a refined feed injection nozzle allowing tuning of droplet size, and an online MS for measuring the product composition.
- Experimental study of particle – droplet interactions at different conditions and with different materials (surfaces) resembling the bed material composition, including temperature and droplet characteristics.
- By simultaneously visualizing the interaction and analyzing the cracking products a link between the interaction mechanism and the chemical outcome of the cracking process should be established.
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file
- Application (cover letter)
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
About Research project
Haldor Topsøe is demonstrating a two-step process for converting sugars into mono ethylene glycol. This process involves a cracking step, where a sugar solution is sprayed into a hot fluid bed reactor, followed by a hydrogenation step in a fixed bed reactor. In a project recently funded by Innovation Fund Denmark (ReMEG) it is the aim is to improve the performance of the first step. As part of this project, two post docs position are available at DTU-Chemical Engineering in tight collaboration with Haldor Topsøe.
About the Department
The CHEC Research Centre at DTU Chemical Engineering is internationally recognised for research in catalysis, combustion, gasification, pyrolysis and emission control.
- The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Professor Anker Degn Jensen
Phone: +45 4525 2841
Post expires at 8:59am on Friday July 2nd, 2021 (GMT+9)