CBMR Postdoc Program – Social Science Studies, Biomedical, Clinical Diagnosis, Health Science in “The project Between Knowing and Doing will investigate how clinical diagnoses enter and are used in research, how they are transformed in different systems of research, and how differentiated diagnoses return to the clinic and patients”, at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR), University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Postdoc in Science Studies
Deadline to Apply
Apr 19, 2021 23:59 (GMT +1)
No. of Position(s)
- Philosophy of science
- History of science
- Medical humanities
- Social science
According to standard norms
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research
University of Copenhagen
DK-2200 Copenhagen, Denmark
Associate Professor Karin Tybjerg
CBMR International Postdoctoral Program
- A PhD degree in a relevant humanities or social science discipline, e.g., philosophy of science, history of science, medical humanities, STS or anthropology
- A PhD in biomedical or health sciences plus at least masters level research experience with humanities
- Experience with the study of science from humanities or social science perspectives is desirable; an ability to engage with scientists and scientific literature is essential
- Enthusiasm for topics in metabolism and philosophy, history and sociology of medicine
- An ambitious, independent and critical mindset
- Confidence in designing their own research methodologies
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience or interest in public communication or museum work is a bonus
The concept of diagnosis plays multiple roles in medical practice and biomedical knowledge. It helps make sense of patient bodies, direct treatment, and enables researchers to focus their work through categorized body material. While humanities research has often focused on psychiatric diagnosis, diagnosis in somatic medicine holds great promise as a route to understanding medical knowledge between practice and science and to map connections between research, clinical medicine and patients.
The project Between Knowing and Doing will investigate how clinical diagnoses enter and are used in research, how they are transformed in different systems of research, and how differentiated diagnoses return to the clinic and patients. Collaborating within the Center offers an opportunity to follow diagnostic categories in practice and across biomedical research and clinical medicine. The project will take its starting point working with the flagship project SEGMENT at the Center, which works with categorizing diabetes on several platforms, and then connecting findings to understandings of the concept of diagnosis from across the biological sciences, humanities and social sciences. Drawing on a practice-embedded philosophically informed approach, the project aims to bring us closer to understanding how biomedical knowledge and disease categories are co-produced in the cases of obesity and diabetes. The candidate might draw on ideas of epistemic flexibility, ‘epistemic iterations’ as well as historical categories underlying current usage.
As an integrated part of the research project the candidate will also collaborate with programming staff at the Medical Museion to organize events and other forms of engagement with stakeholders among patients, practitioners and the broader public.
How to Apply?
Your online application must be submitted in English via the ‘Apply now’ link above. Furthermore, your application must include the following documents/attachments – all in PDF format
- Cover letter expressing the motivation and previous research experience of the applicant (max 1 page)
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of the PhD degree certificate and the Master degree certificate. In case the PhD has not yet been completed, a written statement from the supervisor confirming it will be obtained before October 1, 2021 is acceptable.
- List of publications
- References (name and contact details of at least two references)
About Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research’s vision is to strengthen interdisciplinary research that transforms our basic understanding of the mechanisms that underlie metabolic health and disease, and to accelerate this knowledge toward new prevention and treatment strategies. We were established in 2010 and in 2017, we moved into new laboratories, offices and meeting rooms in the Maersk Tower
The Center has around 240 employees who work in an international, highly collaborative research environment across a range of biomedical disciplines.
- Salary, pension and terms of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). Depending on qualifications, a supplement may be negotiated.
- Non-Danish and Danish applicants may be eligible for tax reductions, if they hold a PhD degree and have not lived in Denmark the last 10 years.
Other Postdoctoral Positions
- Associate Professor Position – Economics, Sociology – Sustainable Transition and Valuation
- Assistant professor or Postdoc position in Political Science, Denmark
- Postdoc position in Quantitative methods, Denmark
- Postdoc position in Biology and Data science, Denmark
- Postdoc Position in Animal Science – Aarhus, Denmark
Post expires at 8:59am on Tuesday April 20th, 2021 (GMT+9)