Postdoc position in Polymer Chemistry, at School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Deadline to Apply
June 21, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||Polymer Chemistry|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health|
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
|Contract Period||1 Year|
(with possibility of extension for one more year)
|Starting date||September or according to agreement|
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, in Chemistry, Polymer and/or Macromolecular Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, or equivalent, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline (exception are allowed in case of sick and parental leave, kindly indicate if such reason exists in your resume) and at latest on the last day of application.
- Competence in Polymer Science, Catalysis and/or Organic Chemistry documented by scientific publications.
- Excellent oral and written communication ability in English. English language proficiency equivalent to (the Swedish upper secondary school) English course B/6 is required.
- Independence and analytical problem solving-ability, a proactive working approach, reliability and curiosity (research expertise)
- Experience in catalysis for ring-opening polymerization.
- Experience in regio- and stereo-selective synthetic approaches, kinetic resolution of racemic mixtures.
- Skills in experimental procedures & techniques (ideally synthesis in inert atmosphere, e.g. Schleck techniques, purification and separation methods).
- Mastery of characterization methods for organic compounds and polymers.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Previous experience in teaching and supervision.
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality.
- Deep appreciation of lab, health and environment safety, interest in green chemistry and sustainable approach
- Ability to adapt to new situations and learn new things.
- Capability of spotting new opportunities and challenges in a complex scientific context.
- Ability to co-operate and manage expectations of others as well as to work independently.
- Ability to plan and organize, set deadlines and priorities, develop timelines and project plans.
- Good pedagogical ability.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Responsibilities/ Job Description
We are looking for a Postdoc in Polymer Chemistry. The position will be at the division of Polymer Technology, Department of Fibre and Polymer Technology.
The Postdoc will have active role in a collaborative project that aims to develop functional & sustainable polymers by taking advantage of the inherent high complexity of renewable building blocks. A lot of biomass has rather complicated chemical structure and the derived bio-based monomers have generally different, bulky and/or unsaturated substituents.
The project seeks to incorporate these functional groups in controlled way along the polymer chain to precisely dictate the final material properties.
The ideal candidate has a background in macromolecular and/or organic chemistry. The main task will indeed be the development of new and efficient organocatalytic routes to renewable polyesters with a variety of microstructures and controlled incorporation of the side and/or functional moieties.
The research activity will be focused on:
- the design of new organocatalysts for ring-opening copolymerization;
- the development of polymerization methodologies for a broad monomer scope;
- polymers’s characterization to elucidate the relationship between microstructure and material performance.
How to Apply?
To apply, please click “Login and Apply” button mentioned above
The application must include:
- Cover letter. Max one page long.
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of PhD diploma. A translation into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages would be appreciated.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
- Copy of your most important publication.
- Contact information for three references
About KTH Royal Institute of Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- A mix of perspectives and diverse scientific background to enhance the relevance and quality of the project and your future carrier development
- Autonomy, independence and a stimulating work environment to help you formulate your own research questions
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
Post expires at 8:59am on Tuesday June 22nd, 2021 (GMT+9)