Postdoc position within Lactic Acid Bacteria Biology and Microfluidics Screening, at DTU Food in the research group of Microbial Biotechnology and Biorefining, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
July 04, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Microbiology|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||2 Years|
|Starting date||Mention the date|
- Hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), within the field of life science with in for example Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or Bioengineering Background.
- Have a high motivation for research excellence
- Academic qualifications within microbial screening and assay design, sequencing and microbial community analysis.
- Have solid research experience in the field of flow cytometry and/or microfluidics
- Have in depth experience with various in silico analysis and bioinformatics
- Have international experience and a good written and spoken English.
- Be interested in contributing to teaching at DTU, as well as contributing to supervision of student projects
- Experience with mass spectrometry techniques for species identification will be preferred
- Thorough experience in assay development
- Specific experience within the field of food microbiology
- Willingness to teach and supervise/educate DTU students
- Innovative skills and the ability to generate new ideas
- The ability to promote and utilize research results
- Experience in teaching at university level
- Social and team sprit
- Research impact and experience
- International impact and experience
- Communication skills
- Experience in funding and fundraising
Responsibilities/ Job Description
The position involves research, publication, laboratory work and student supervision as well as teaching. The postdoc will take part in an industrial collaborative project. Additionally the candidate will also support the team in general ranging from basic to applied research as well as increasing the size of the in-house lactic acid bacterial strain collection.
- You will be responsible for developing the team’s capabilities within the fields of flow cytometry and/or microfluidics for screening environmental samples but also development of relevant functional assays.
- You will contribute to further development of the research field in the team and in particular engage in enhancing the team’s competences within this field.
- You will be in involved in expanding our in-house microbial strain collection.
- The candidate will be engaged in research, supervision and innovation related to food microbiology.
- The candidate will be involved in fundraising, and will be the main person involved in the collaboration with our industrial partner.
- You will be involved in writing scientific publications and presenting at conferences both at national and international level.
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file
- Application (cover letter)
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
About Research project
You will work in close collaboration with other researchers and laboratory technicians in the group as well as scientists from our external partner, and will participate in the daily supervision of student projects.
As postdoc, you will work with starter cultures using plant-derived lactic acid bacteria for plant-based dairy alternatives by applying new types of screening technology and method development for microfluidics and flow cytometry. The research will additionally focus on experimental droplet screening and assay design, NGS sequencing and microbial community analysis.
The team’s overarching focus is to support the major trends with new technological solutions that will shape the food industry in the future within the area of non-dairy (vegan) alternatives. This is in order to reduce the carbon footprint of foods and provide sustainable food production where plant fermentation may provide health benefits, longer shelf life and safer food products.
About DTU Food
DTU Food (The National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark) works within six technical focus areas: Biotechnology, nutrition, food quality, food safety, food technology and environment & human health. Activities cover a wide range of food products throughout the entire food chain from farm to table, comprising both research activities and research-based consulting and teaching.
- The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Senior Scientist Claus Heiner Bang- Berthelsen
Tel.: +45 2986 6900
Post expires at 8:59am on Monday July 5th, 2021 (GMT+9)