Postdoc Position in Bionic Vision is available at Department of Neuroscience, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Deadline to Apply
Aug 30, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Neuroscience|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Department of Neuroscience,|
University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
|Contract Period||2 Year|
|Starting date||Jan 01, 2022|
- PhD or equivalent degree in natural, medical science or biomedical engineering that is obtained after 2016.
- Excellent scientific track record
- Prior experience in 2-photon microscopy imaging in live mice and / or visual cortex is preferred
- Experience in Matlab programming and computational data analysis is desirable
- Technical skills in real time data acquisition and instrumentation control is a plus
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- An analytical aptitude of devising innovative scientific or technical solutions
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, motivation, flexibility and confidence
Responsibilities/ Job Description
- We strive to implant the bionic device in the living mouse brain, examine brain responses and unveil its underlying biological mechanism
- We will examine the brain cellular and vascular activities by state-of-art in vivo two-photon microscopy, as well as mouse behavior
Your tasks would be:
- Implant the bionic device in anesthetized mouse with acute cranial window or awake mouse with chronic cranial window.
- Use two-photon microscopy as a main tool to study brain cellular and vascular responses.
- Simple animal behavior study.
- Test efficacy of different bionic designs and feedback to Harvard and DTU collaborator.
- Analyze data, write and publish high quality papers.
- Write project reports, and participate in project meetings.
- Co-supervise bachelor, master, and PhD students.
How to Apply?
Your online application must be submitted in English by clicking ‘APPLY ONLINE’ button mentioned above.
Furthermore your application must include the following documents/attachments – all in PDF format:
- Motivated letter of application (max. two pages)
- CV incl. education, work/research experience, language skills and other skills relevant for the position. Please specify your GPAs
- A certified/signed copy of a) PhD certificate and b) Master of Science certificate. If the PhD is not completed, a written statement from the supervisor will do
- List of publications
- 3 references including e-mails and contacts
- 1-3 signature papers in PDF, preferably first author papers
About Research project
In this project, we will develop the next generation bionic device to stimulate the existing visual neurons, so that the brain ‘sees’ again by artificial visual perceptions. We further envision an intriguing potential to extend it to treat other neurological disorders.
This project is an interdisciplinary and intercontinental collaboration of experts from vision, neuroscience and neural engineering. To overcome the fundamental limitation of the conventional visual prosthesis, we will develop the next generation cortical implant for vision restoration. Our neuroscience group will collaborate with Dr. Shelley Fried and his team at Harvard University, and Dr. Anpan Han’s team at Technical University of Denmark (DTU). Dr. Fried is a world-leading expert of visual prosthesis, under umbrella of ‘The Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies® (BRAIN) Initiative. Dr. Han’s team in DTU holds the cutting-edge technology to manufacture super fine electrode / coil array in nanoscales.
The research focus of our group is on mechanism of sensory rehabilitation, brain vascular disease and application of neurophotonics to brain imaging. It builds upon our extensive experience and cutting-edge work on calcium signaling in neurons and astrocytes, and vascular activities. The applicant is expected to work with two-photon microscopy in the mouse cerebral cortex in both anesthetized and awake states.
- Foreign applicants may find this link useful: www.ism.ku.dk (International Staff Mobility).
- Interviews are expected to be held in September and October 2021.
Assistant Professor Changsi Cai
Tel: (+45) 71171807 or
Official advertisementINSERT SUB-FIELDS HERENovember 29, 2021