Postdoctoral Fellow in Environmental microbiology is available at Department of Environmental Science, Stockholm University, Sweden
Deadline to Apply
May 24, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Microbiology|
– Molecular Biology
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Department of Environmental Science|
Stockholm University, Sweden
|Contract Period||2 Year|
|Starting date||Sept 01, 2021|
- Applicants should hold a doctoral degree in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, or similar, with knowledge in environmental science and relevant data analysis skills.
- Applicants are expected to hold a Swedish doctoral degree or an equivalent degree from another country.
- The degree should have been completed no more than three years before the deadline for applications. An older degree may be acceptable under special circumstances, which may involve sick leave, parental leave, clinical attachment, elected positions in trade unions, or similar.
- In the appointment process, special attention will be given to demonstrated research skills related to the project topic, statistics and modelling, bioinformatics, number of the first-authored research publication, personal qualities, such as social skills, ability to work independently, and acquire new knowledge.
Responsibilities/ Job Description
The candidate is expected to have an interest in understanding bacterial assemblages and bacteria-host interactions in an ecotoxicological context. The position involves research, including experimentation, data management, and writing scientific papers. The candidate will use state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques, such as NGS of bacterial communities, qPCR-based methods, and bioinformatics. Experience in multivariate statistical analysis is merited. The candidate is expected to use laboratory and field protocols that follow and comply with the safety regulations required by Stockholm University and the Department of Environmental Science.
How to Apply?
To apply, please click APPLY ONLINE button mentioned above.
Please include the following information with your application
- Your contact details and personal data
- Your highest degree
- Your language skills
- Contact details for 2–3 references
and, in addition, please include the following documents
- Cover letter, including research interest and describing:
– why you are interested in the field/project described in the advertisement
– what makes you suitable for the project in question
- CV – degrees and other completed courses, work experience and a list of publications
- Copy of PhD diploma
- Letters of recommendation (no more than 2 files)
- Publications in support of your application (no more than 4 files).
About Research project
The position will be associated with several projects studying the role of the microbiome in animal response to xenobiotics, such as water-borne toxins and environmental contaminants, in ecotoxicological test systems as well as in the environment. In these projects, laboratory studies with model zooplankton species, a cladoceran Daphnia and a copepod Nitocra are combined with the analysis of field-collected Baltic zooplankton species. The overarching aim is to identify the microbiome composition associated with functional properties that convey fitness benefits and stress tolerance.
About the Department
The Department of Environmental Science is one of the biggest departments at the Faculty of Science. The department is divided into four units with more than 170 researchers, teachers, doctoral students, and technical/administrative staff from over 30 countries. Research and teaching focus on chemical contaminants, atmospheric science, biogeochemistry, and (eco)toxicology. As an employee at the Department of Environmental Science, you will be part of a dynamic environment with research in leading research areas and a strong international profile.
Union representatives : Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, email@example.com, Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com (SEKO).
Dr. Rehab El-Shehawy,
Professor Elena Gorokhova
Post expires at 8:59am on Tuesday May 25th, 2021 (GMT+9)