Postdoc position in Distributed AI Systems, in the section for Embedded Systems Engineering (ESE) of DTU Compute, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 06, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Applied Machine Learning|
– Embedded AI
– Wireless Embedded Systems
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Section for Embedded Systems Engineering (ESE)|
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||2 Years|
|Starting date||Aug 01, 2021|
A PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Research interests and a scientific track record in research fields, such as Applied Machine Learning, Embedded AI, Wireless Embedded Systems, Internet of Things, Wireless Sensor Networks, that can be documented by a publication record in relevant venues.
- Solid understanding of state-of-the-art machine learning techniques and wireless communication standards used for machine-to-machine.
- Experience in system-level programming, developing prototype implementations, and evaluating their research in testbed experiments. Experience with embedded operating systems, such as Contiki-NG, RIOT and ZephyrOS, is considered a plus.
- An interest in generating real-world impact and collaborating with the industry.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
Responsibilities/ Job Description
You will be responsible for the design and development of distributed AI software components that support the communication, security, orchestration, and coordination of data and IoT architectures. In particular, you will be responsible for:
- Conducting research in Embedded AI and Distributed AI systems.
- Developing proof-of-concept implementations and experimentally validating their research.
- Publishing and disseminating their research in high-quality conferences and journals.
- Contributing to deliverables and other administrative activities associated with the project.
- Co-managing the project activities, representing DTU in project meetings, coordinating and collaborating with project partners, and supervising students and research assistants working in the project.
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
- Copy of a single publication that is relevant to the post and the applicant is the lead author
About Research project
In recent years, technological developments in consumer electronics and industrial applications have been advancing rapidly. More and smaller, networked devices are able to collect and process data anywhere. This Internet of Things (IoT) is a revolutionary change for many sectors like building, automotive, digital industry, energy, etc. As a result, the amount of data being generated at the Edge level has and will increase dramatically, resulting in higher network bandwidth requirements. In the meantime, with the emergence of novel applications, lower latency of the network is required. This new landscape and these requirements drive a shift from traditional cloud-base Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) to the edge of the network with Edge Intelligence (EI). In this context, the objective of the project is to develop Edge AI software that is self-organizing, energy efficient, bandwidth efficient, and private by design. It envisions the development of AI software and applications that can run efficiently on a range of device types from small resource-constrained devices to capable devices (with small MCUs, low CPU, and memory capacities) while still delivering the performance and accuracy typically only found in bigger systems.
ESE conducts research in a broad range of topics central for the design of modern embedded systems and is the coordinator of the Nordic University Hub on Industrial IoT, a network of leading technical universities in the Nordic area. You will have access to mobility funding to visit the Hub research groups and to gain access to their research infrastructure. ESE will support your career development. DTU offers career development courses (e.g., proposal preparation, project management, pedagogy). There are no requirements for teaching, but you will get the opportunity to participate in our courses (e.g., via guest lecturing) to improve your teaching skills and portfolio. In addition, we will support you in identifying masters’ and PhD students to supervise. Finally, the position is very competitive in terms of salary: researchers applying from outside of Denmark may qualify for the reduced taxation for foreign researchers and have the option to get their pension paid out as salary, see the pension section in this guide.
About DTU Compute
DTU Compute is a unique and internationally recognized academic environment spanning the science disciplines mathematics, statistics, computer science, and engineering. We conduct research, teaching and innovation of high international standard—producing new knowledge and technology-based solutions to societal challenges. We have a long-term involvement in applied and interdisciplinary research, big data and data science, artificial intelligence (AI), internet of things (IoT), smart and secure societies, smart manufacturing, and life science.
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union
Post expires at 8:59am on Monday June 7th, 2021 (GMT+9)