Postdoc position is available to work with high-throughput eDNA analyses from a range of different environmental samples – e.g. water, plants, faecal and bulk samples – collected along latitudinal and/or environmental gradients, Section for Genetics, Ecology and Evolution, Department of Biology, Aarhus University, Denmark
2-year postdoc position in environmental DNA analyses of biodiversity
Deadline to Apply
Apr 15, 2021 23:59 (GMT +1)
No. of Position(s)
According to standard norms
Section for Genetics, Ecology and Evolution
Department of Biology
Aarhus University, Ny Munkegade 114, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Philip Francis Thomsen
Nat-Tech Administrative Centre – Nat-Tech HR
Applicants must have a PhD degree or equivalent, or have submitted their PhD thesis for assessment before the application deadline
We seek a candidate with strong expertise in:
- Bioinformatics and statistical analyses of next-generation sequencing data. Particularly: Programming languages, especially R, bash and Python; pipelines for next-generation sequencing data analyses such as DADA2, Mothur, SAMtools; vcf tools; experience with running (many parallel) jobs on computer clusters
- Ecological data analyses, hereunder experience with RParticularly: R packages such as vegan, BiodiversityR and ade4 for e.g. clustering, ordination, accumulation and rarefaction analyses of read data
- DNA laboratory work (preferably eDNA)Particularly: eDNA extraction, eDNA metabarcoding, qPCR, Illumina library building
- Field work
Particularly: Collection of eDNA samples and environmental variables, and traditional biodiversity surveys
The candidate is expected to have good collaborative skills and proven abilities to publish at a high international level as well as experience in project management. The successful candidate will also be responsible for the daily management of his/her research project in coordination with other members of the group, and will be actively involved in the training and co-supervision of other staff members and students.
The use of environmental DNA (eDNA) is rapidly changing the way that scientists obtain biological information on the living world. As part of a research project funded by the Carlsberg foundation, we are seeking a highly-motivated postdoc to work with high-throughput eDNA analyses from a range of different environmental samples – e.g. water, plants, faecal and bulk samples – collected along latitudinal and/or environmental gradients. Samples will be analysed using a metabarcoding framework in association with environmental variables to test fundamental assumptions about the distribution of species and genetic diversity.
The project will also include experimental projects dedicated to study the origin, state and transport of eDNA in the aquatic environment, and test novel sequencing approaches such as nanopore sequencing. A component of the work will be development and improvement of bioinformatics pipelines to analyse eDNA data from next-generation sequencing. Studies will span from analyses of entire biological communities to population genetics of selected target species. There will also be opportunities for developing own research ideas related to environmental DNA and molecular ecology in collaboration with the group.
How to Apply?
To apply please click the “Apply online” button mentioned above
The application must be in English and include
- Curriculum vitae
- Degree certificate
- A complete list of publications
- A statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any).
Guidelines for applicants can be found here.
- Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
- Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
Other Postdoctoral Positions
- MS, MS and PhD Programs – DGIST, South Korea
- Postdoc position in Cell biology, Denmark
- Postdoc position in Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Aero-Microbiology
- Postdoc Position in Robotics, Engineering – Aalborg, Denmark
- Postdoc Position in Biochemistry – DTU, Denmark
Post expires at 8:59am on Friday April 16th, 2021 (GMT+9)