Postdoc position in Functional metagenomics and data mining at Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine DTU Bioengineering, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 11, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Functional metagenomics|
– Data mining
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine|
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||3 Years|
|Starting date||Not mentioned|
- PhD in computational biology, computer science, mathematics, statistics or a relevant field
- Extensive experience with analyzing complex metagenomics datasets – going from raw reads to publication
- Experience with scientific programming (such as R, Python, Perl, or C/C++), data analyses and data visualization
- Ability to work in a UNIX environment, with standard bioinformatics tools, and comfortable applying relevant statistical methods
- Strong publication record, excellent communication skills, and high proficiency in English
- Have a passion for entrepreneurial projects with an outgoing personality
Responsibilities/ Job Description
We are looking for a talented self-motivated Postdoc with the ambition and commitment to achieve excellence in a highly productive environment and to deliver on milestones defined on this high-risk/high-gain project aiming at development of novel biosustainable, bacterial-based biopesticides for the agricultural industry. You will need to master and be responsible for conceiving, developing, and applying algorithms and analyses of an extensive collection of soil and plant metagenomics data. The data analysis will include functional metagenomics analysis, using an already established pipeline, novel data mining, community/network analyses and data integration. The activities surrounding this position will be mainly computational. You will have close interactions with two wet lab postdocs, and technicians working on the project and with the professional project management team.
- Analyze large metagenomics datasets and identify functionally collaborating bacteria
- Develop and maintain current functional metagenomics and new pipelines
- Responsibly manage the large amount of data generated on the project
- Deliver timely on project milestones
- Lead and contribute to the generation of patents, publications, and grant applications
- Present our work at conferences and scientific meetings
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
- Application (cover letter)
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
About Research project
Then you are maybe the candidate we are seeking. We are looking for an outstanding highly-motivated Postdoc to work on an innovative research project involving soil and plant metagenomics entitled ‘Designed bacterial collaboromes for bio-control of potato pathogens’, funded by the BioInnovation Institute Foundation. The position is available in the group of Professor Susanne Brix Pedersen at Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine, Technical University of Denmark, and is part of an interdisciplinary project involving University of Copenhagen, and University of Graz, with a strong focus on delivering commercially relevant solutions.
About Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine
The Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (DTU Bioengineering) is an international leader in the areas of biotechnology and biomedicine. Our engineering approach to all aspects of biotechnology and biomedicine positions us as a valuable player with unique competences in a growing bio-based economy and with health systems transforming towards personalized medicine. We have a clear focus on the needs in the life science industry and point towards innovation, new businesses, and scientific services for the benefit of society. The department has extensive collaborations with national and international research units and industry. DTU Bioengineering has approx. 350 employees, of which 2/3 are scientific staff. The department is located at DTU Lyngby Campus.
- The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Professor Susanne Brix Pedersen
Post expires at 8:59am on Saturday June 12th, 2021 (GMT+9)