Postdoc Position in automation of microbial screening and strain discovery for Plant Protection is available at DTU Bioengineering, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark (Bioengineering Jobs)
Deadline to Apply
May 17, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Biotechnology|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||3 Year|
|Starting date||Not Specified|
PhD degree (or equivalent). The PhD should preferably be in the fields of biotechnology, bioengineering or similar.
We are specifically looking for a Scientist with a strong motivation for and experience with developing automated laboratory workflows for functional screening and characterization of microbial strain libraries (bacteria and fungi).
You are highly motivated by working in an interdisciplinary team, where you will be the automation expert and hence drive the development of automated solutions. You are technical minded/skilled and ready to expand your competencies to include a diverse set of robotics platforms. You thrive in projects with partners from both academia and industry.
You must have:
- A solid experience with the use of automation and HTP technologies, including the development of workflows for one or more of the following robotics platforms: FlowbotONE, Opentron, Tecan Fluent, QPixII, Rotor HDA, or Hamilton MicroSTAR (all available to the project).
- A strong background in experimental microbiology/microbial biotechnology/molecular biology – preferably experience with antifungal activity and/or plant-microbe interaction.
- Good communication skills in written and spoken English.
In addition, you have:
- Experience with developing bioinformatics pipelines for processing of microbial genomes (relating genomic data to phenotypical traits).
- Excellent track-record of scientific achievements (publications, patents, awards, grants, conference presentations, etc.)
Responsibilities/ Job Description
You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of highly skilled Scientists with the common goal of finding new microbial biofungicide candidates by developing novel and efficient screening and phenotyping workflows. Your overall focus will be to develop and implement an integrated automated high throughput microbial screening platform, and workflows for characterizing the physiology, genomics, and metabolomics of microbial strains.
Your primary tasks will be to:
- Lead the development of automated laboratory workflows for functional screening and characterization, e.g. physiology, genomics, metabolomics.
- Drive the development of a liquid anti-fungal screen.
- Implement a genome characterization pipeline (culture to processed genome).
- Drive the integration of several screening procedures into a functional screening platform.
- Participate in strain characterization and development activities.
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) including description of experience with automation
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
- Names and contact information for three references
- H-index and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 17 May 2021 (Danish time) – but please submit early as we will start a preliminary review and interview process.
About Research project
The position is part of the Smarter AgroBiological Screening (SABS) project, which will develop new biological antifungal agents for crop protection, to enable the reduction of chemical fungicides usage. The project is an industry-university collaboration involving a large team at DTU bioengineering, to build-up a set of high-throughput automated assays to screen DTU’s vast collection of microorganisms and advance the most promising strains towards in-planta testing. Artificial intelligence methodologies will be used to find predictive patterns in the collected data and enable most effective selection and optimization process.
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
- All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Post expires at 8:59am on Tuesday May 18th, 2021 (GMT+9)