PhD position in AI Approaches for Erosion at Wind Turbine Blades, at DTU Wind Energy Department, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 23, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Engineering|
– Computational physics
|Scholarship||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||DTU Wind Energy|
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||3 Years|
|Starting date||As early as possible|
- MSc in engineering, geophysics, computational physics or similar
- Experience with data science and using or designing machine learning methods
- Experience with wind energy topics
Experience programming with scientific python is much preferred
The subject of the PhD project is AI Approaches for Erosion at Wind Turbine Blades. Wind Turbine blade degradation has the effect to reduce the power performance of the turbine, and thereby reducing the lifetime of the rotor blades. The blade degradation due to erosion can be mitigated through controlling the rotation speed during the periods of heavy rains and periodically repaired. Taking this control strategy and operation & maintenance cost into account both during the planning and operational phases of a wind farm can therefore reduce significantly the overall cost of wind energy for society and increase the revenue of the wind farm owner and operator. In this context, this PhD project will investigate how to efficiently create physics informed, AI-based wind farm models of the power performance of wind turbines with eroded blades by combining physical wind farm flow models and aero-elastic simulation results with measurements from different sources. The study will include informed, AI-based analysis on field data and lab data on erosion and weather conditions from numerical weather prediction models as well as local rain and wind observations to implement the control strategy. Furthermore, the study will be used to investigate design optimization and operational control strategies to optimize the levelized cost of energy and other relevant economical metrics of the wind farm.
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)
- The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU–Moving to Denmark.
Senior Researcher Pierre-Elouan Réthoré
Phone: +45 2133 1293
Post expires at 8:59am on Thursday June 24th, 2021 (GMT+9)