PhD Position in Network Dynamics of Ethnic Integration, Sociology and Social Work is available at the Department of Sociology and Social Work, Aalborg University, Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 25, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Data Science|
|Scholarship||“According to standard norms”|
|Workplace||Department of Sociology and Social Work|
|Contract Period||3 Years|
|Starting date||Sept 01, 2021 or ASAP|
- Applicants to the PhD scholarship must hold a degree equivalent to a Danish Master’s degree. Applicants enrolled at a Danish Master programme who expect to graduate before the date of appointment must forward statement from thesis supervisor, verified transcripts, a copy of thesis contract and documentation for the date of their final exam.
Applicants must hold a relevant Master degree and demonstrate:
- Knowledge about Data Science in combination with Sociology
- Qualifications in terms of conducting data science and utilizing methodologies suited for big data sets and algorithmic thinking.
- Academic and/or practical experience in working with large datasets, network analysis, web-data and the combination of multiple different datatypes
- Ability to work both as an independent researcher and in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary research environment as well as external partners in science
- Commitment, dedication, enthusiasm and ability to conduct and advance research that combines data science and social science for the purpose of generating new knowledge for ethnic integration
- Bringing together a team of scholars and research centers in sociology and demography with computational and network scientists at four different research centers in Sweden, Denmark and Finland, this larger project combines network-scientific methods and high-resolution full-population register data to study ethnic relations and integration in three societal domains: family formation patterns, labor market discrimination, and residential segregation.
- Expanding the conventional focus on native-immigrant relations in integration research, this research project places an emphasis on the complete complex networks of relations within and between groups with different ethnic backgrounds.
- The project is mainly based on the utilization of network models to better understand local ethnic integration, social mobility, and diversified local social cohesion.
- The project involves using a wide range of newer methodologies to encompass geographical networks, social networks, and family ties.
- Furthermore, the project requires competencies in text analysis as natural language processing as well as an interest in combining analysis of, for example, local policy documents and measurable phenomena in register data.
How to Apply?
- The complete application including attachments shall be sent electronically by selecting the “apply online” button mentioned above or
- On AAU’s job-portal https://www.stillinger.aau.dk/ (not other online job portals that may have reposted the position).
- Please note that zipped files are not supported by the recruitment system, please upload only Word or PDF files.
- Letter of motivation
- Application form
- Project proposal (approx. 5 pages) containing the research project title, an outline of the course of study and a description of the overall problem areas
- Information on which language the PhD thesis is expected to be written in
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas confirming academic degrees (Master degree), including academic transcripts
- Applicants WHO are planning to complete a doctoral thesis in English and who do not have English as a first language or WHO have not completed an English language-based Master’s programme (or an equivalent educational achievement in English) shall provide documentation that they have passed one of the following official tests with the respective minimum score: IELTS (band score):7 TOEFL (paper-based): 600, TOEFL (internet-based): 100.
- Co-author statement. If publications that have been written in cooperation with others are submitted, a declaration from each of the authors must be enclosed. The declaration must state the extent of the applicant’s contribution to the total work and be signed by the authors.
- Application for credit transfer if relevant.
About the project/department
The position will be affiliated to SOCMAP (www.socmap.aau.dk) as a part of a cross-disciplinary research team at Department of Sociology and Social Work, Faculty of Social Science. SOCMAP will in collaboration with Linköping University and Alto University ensure supervision, transdisciplinary collaboration, academic development, and international collaboration during the Ph.D.-period.
- You may obtain further information regarding the academic contents of the position from Head of Department, contact Trond Beldo Klausen email@example.com Phone: 9940 2602.
- For information about SOCMAP contact Anja Jørgensen firstname.lastname@example.org
Post expires at 8:59am on Saturday June 26th, 2021 (GMT+9)