PhD position with scholarship in Digitalisation of Pilot Plant Operations, in the Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 30, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Chemical engineering|
– Biochemical engineering
|Scholarship||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||DTU Chemical Engineering|
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||3 Years|
|Starting date||Not mentioned|
Candidates should have a two-year master’s degree (120 ECTS points) in chemical or biochemical engineering or related fields, or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master’s degree.
The focus of the PhD position is on development of virtual laboratories in the field of chemical and biochemical engineering. More specifically, the candidate is expected to work on one or several of the following topics:
- Implementation of bioprocess models, as well as a deep understanding of their properties and characteristic.
- Development and extension of non-relational databases for bioprocesses as well as for a simulator.
- Investigation of the intersection between IT, cognition, and the teaching of bioprocesses online.
- Creation of learning designs for virtual teaching across progression levels in university education.
- Develop the introduction of machine learning and artificial intelligence inside an educational bioprocess simulator. A specific framework may need to be developed for this task.
- Software development, aiming to make your own the software BioVL (http://biovl.com)
- Development of data flows and analysis from the pilot plant to enhance the learning experience.
This PhD involves a multidisciplinary project which connects the education, (bio)chemical engineering, and computer science fields. Hence, this project will let you investigate and grow different skill sets with a tangible (but virtual) outcome.
How to Apply?
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)
About the project/department
The position is part of a strategic effort of the Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering. In a time where industry has increased focus on making better use of data, automation and advanced control (Industry 4.0), the department has the ambition to upgrade our pilot plant towards Industry 4.0, such that we can keep on providing an education that is relevant for future industrial specialists. The PhD student will be working closely together with our specialists in the pilot plant and with faculty members in the research centres.
- The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Assoc. Prof. Ulrich Krühne
Tel.: +45 4525 2960
Post expires at 8:59am on Thursday July 1st, 2021 (GMT+9)