PhD for Civil engineering, Structural Engineering Jobs – PhD project: Advanced engineering tool for lightweight composite 3D print of concrete design formwork, at DTU Civil Engineering, Technical University of Denmark
Deadline to Apply
May 01, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||Structural engineering, Civil engineering|
|Scholarship||According to Standard Norms|
|Workplace||DTU Civil Engineering, Technical University of Denmark|
|Contract Period||3 Years|
You must have a two-year master’s degree (120 ECTS points) in structural engineering, civil engineering or similar areas – or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master’s degree.
Furthermore you must have
- a strong flavour for working in the interface between numerical modelling and experimental mechanics.
- knowledge about structural engineering and a solid basis in theoretical structural engineering.
Preference will be given to a theoretical background in Structural Engineering and the Finite Element Method and a solid experience with experimental activities.
The general objective of the PhD project is to facilitate robotic 3D-printing of lightweight composite formwork allowing a greater design freedom for concrete structures by a cost effective method.
The PhD project will be a part of a larger project on the topic. The specific PhD project is oriented towards the development and verification of an optimised formwork solution for a given structural design. This includes development of numerical tools/analysis of the formwork with respect to material consumption, constructability and strength/stability resulting in an optimised formwork design tool.
Furthermore, experimental material characterisation of the formwork material and experimental validation of full-scale formwork is to be planned and carried out using our state-of-the-art structural lab facilities.
Close collaboration with the DTU group at DTU Mechanical Engineering on additive manufacturing and the industrial partners is expected in order for the project to succeed.
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)
- A brief scientific text (max. 1 page) reflecting on important model parameters to predict wall impacts caused by a burning vehicle or a hydrogen jet flame in a tunnel accident scenario.
About DTU Civil Engineering
DTU Civil Engineering develops and utilizes science and technical knowledge for the benefit of society through a sustainable development of construction and the built environment. As part of a strong university, the department provides research, study programs, innovation and research-based consultancy of the highest quality in civil engineering. The Department develops new knowledge and solutions for the challenges facing the construction industry based on classic disciplines of building research, as well as the monitoring and decoding of physical phenomena,—we combine theory and practice.
DTU Civil Engineering has a special role in researching, educating and developing new construction engineering solutions for Arctic settings, for the benefit of society in both Denmark and Greenland. The department has a scientific staff of about 80 persons, 60 PhD students, and a technical/administrative support staff of about 50 persons.
- The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Associate professor Jens H. Nielsen
Phone.: +45 45255127
Professor Per Goltermann
Phone: +45 45251684
Professor Henrik Stang
Phone: +45 45251735.
PhD project: Advanced engineering tool for lightweight composite 3D print of concrete design formwork
- PhD position with Scholarship in Environmental engineering, Marine ecology, Geography, Statistics
- 2 PhD Positions with stipends in Computer Science, Denmark
- PhD stipend in Electrical Engineering and Electronic Engineering, Denmark
- Research Assistants in Immunology – Aarhus, Denmark
- PhD Position in Biotechnology, Bioscience
Post expires at 8:59am on Sunday May 2nd, 2021 (GMT+9)