Two group leader positions in Molecular and Translational Neuroscience are available at the Danish Research Institute of Translational Neuroscience – DANDRITE of the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Aarhus University, Denmark
Two Group Leaders in Molecular and Translational Neuroscience
Deadline to Apply
Apr 30, 2021 23:59 (GMT +1)
No. of Position(s)
Molecular and Translational Neuroscience
According to standard norms
Department of Bioscience
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
8000 Aarhus C
Poul Nissen Professor
Department of Molecular Biology & Genetics – Neurobiology
Professor Poul Henning Jensen
Phone: +45 2899 2056
Nat-Tech Administrative Centre – Nat-Tech HR
To qualify for a group leader position, the candidate should have a PhD degree or equivalent and an appropriate level of postdoctoral training.
Applicants should present a strong track record of relevance (but not necessarily limited) to neuroscience, and an independent research proposal that demonstrates the potential to identify compelling new questions and ideas in neuroscience to be pursued at DANDRITE and with the leverage of existing or developing activities at Neuro Campus Aarhus.
How to Apply?
To Apply, please click “Apply Online”, button mentioned above
- Cover letter summarizing the applicant’s career, past research accomplishments and future plans (max 1 page)
- CV including the experience with project leadership and student supervision and listing also invited presentations at international meetings and institutions
- Complete list of publications with the five most significant papers highlighted in a separate list
- Short research plan (max 5 pages) including also a summary of expected translational impact and potential in neuroscienc
We seek two group leaders in neuroscience to establish independent research programs that ideally both exploit and complement the expertise and research programs of current groups. Research programs can for example investigate protein-protein interaction networks in cell biology underlying intra- or intercellular signaling and function in the normal and diseased brain using advanced tools of e.g., imaging, chemical biology, single cell technologies, genetics, proteomics and bioinformatics. Group leaders are expected to introduce novel topics and tools, strengthen synergies of on-going DANDRITE research, and build a program at international level that can support also collaborations of interdisciplinary and translational neuroscience at NeuroCampus Aarhus and within Danish neuroscience.
As a group leader you will be offered state-of-the-art laboratory facilities embedded in existing research infrastructures for neuroscience at all levels ranging from structure and function of molecules to advanced imaging, electrophysiology and functional/behavioral studies in transgenic models including for example induced pluripotent stem cells, brain organoids, fruit fly, zebrafish, mouse, and rat. Research at Aarhus University is in close proximity to clinical research at the Aarhus University Hospital (number one in Denmark and top-ranked worldwide), and biotech support facilities are available. There will be ample opportunities for training and experience with academic teaching and public outreach.
The group leader program follows the EMBL model with a 5-year appointment and the possibility for a 4-year extension for a total of 9 years depending on a review concluding in the fourth year. Candidates are offered a competitive start package of EUR 1.6M for the first five years and further funding can be expected from national and international funding bodies including a strong presence of private foundations in Danish research. Specific support programs are available for collaborations with other neuroscience communities in Denmark and for capital investments on equipment.
Nordic EMBL Partnership and DANDRITE
The Nordic EMBL Partnership is a joint venture between the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and the Universities of Helsinki/Finland, Oslo/Norway, Umea/Sweden and Aarhus/Denmark. The partnership provides joint access to research infrastructures, including databases, facilities and instrumentation, as well as to clinical materials, networks and training activities. The four nodes of the partnership (FIMM/Helsinki, NCMM/Oslo, MIMS/Umea, and DANDRITE/Aarhus) adhere to the EMBL model for research organization, training and evaluation, and with research primarily defined by group leader programs.
DANDRITE is hosted by Aarhus University, an international, top-ranking university, with financial support from the Lundbeck Foundation. The research scope is on integrative/systems neuroscience and molecular mechanisms of intra- and intercellular networks defining general cell biology, neuronal circuits, and complex signal processing in brain, how these mechanisms are linked to behavior, and how they are altered and can be targeted in brain disorders. Translational studies have a particular focus on neurodegenerative, psychiatric, neurological and sensory disorders.
DANDRITE is embedded in a vibrant NeuroCampus Aarhus research community (neurocampus.au.dk) at Aarhus University and Aarhus University Hospital and encompasses internationally leading research centers and infrastructures in genetics, molecular and clinical medicine, bioimaging, cognitive neuroscience, transgenic animal models, biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology, nanoscience, and engineering. There are long-standing traditions in studies of for example membrane proteins, molecular neuroscience, and brain function and imaging.
- Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
- Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
- We follow the EMBL model for international recruitment and the EMBL procedures for scientific reviews. We expect to invite selected candidates in June to a virtual symposium followed by individual, personal interviews.
Other Postdoctoral Positions
- Associate Professor Position – Economics, Sociology – Sustainable Transition and Valuation
- Postdoc position in Quantitative methods, Denmark
- Postdoc position in Biology and Data science, Denmark
- Postdoc Position in Animal Science – Aarhus, Denmark
- Assistant professor or Postdoc position in Political Science, Denmark
Post expires at 8:59am on Saturday May 1st, 2021 (GMT+9)