Telecommunication Engineering – PhD position in Massive MIMO Communication for “Industry 4.0” Use-cases is available within the general study programme Wireless Communications, at the Technical Faculty of IT and Design, Department of Electronic Systems, Aalborg University, Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 23, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Telecommunication Engineering|
– Electronic Engineering
– Signal Processing
|Scholarship||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Technical Faculty of IT and Design|
Department of Electronic Systems
|Contract Period||3 Years|
|Starting date||Sep 01, 2021|
- Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) shall at the time of recruitment by the host organisation be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
An undergraduate degree and Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Telecommunication Engineering, Electronic Engineering, or Signal Processing.
- Solid background in wireless communications and good mathematical skills. Good programming skills (e.g., Matlab, C++, Python). Experience with statistical signal processing and machine learning methods is highly valued.
- Great written and verbal communication, as well as presentation skills.
- Highly proficient English language skills.
- Good organisational skills, creative, innovative, motivated thinker.
- Motivation to collaborate in an interdisciplinary international team and to participate in training programs.
- Ability to travel and work in and outside Europe.
- Compliance with the ITN eligibility requirements (please check carefully above).
Project description / Responsibilities
5GSmartFact Early Stage Researcher 6: Massive MIMO Communication for “Industry 4.0” Use-cases
Aalborg University is seeking to hire an Early Stage Researcher (ESR) to join the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network on “Future Wireless Connected and Automated Industry Enabled by 5G” (5GSmartFact). More details are included in https://5gsmartfact.upc.edu/
The project offers a high-quality research and training programme:
- Opportunity to join a network of established Universities, research institutes and companies in the field of wireless communications and Industry 4.0.
- The ESR is primarily hosted by Aalborg University, with stays in partner institutions (secondments).
- Training programme including regular summer and winter schools to build technical skills as well as soft skills.
- The salaries are very competitive and composed by the following allowances: living, mobility and family (the latest only if eligible, see criteria of eligibility in the project’s website).
The ESR will be enrolled in the PhD programme at Aalborg University, and supervised by associate professor Carles Navarro Manchón. The planned secondments are at Nokia Bell Labs, Aalborg (Denmark) and at NEC Laboratories Europe, Heidelberg, Germany.
The diversity of use cases in Industry 4.0 (I4.0) implies that industrial wireless networks will have to accommodate different—and often conflicting—requirements: high data rates and low latency are demanded by virtual/augmented reality applications as well as kitting and assembly operations, extremely high reliability and low latency may be required for the control of cyber-physical systems, while the ability to support a massive amount of devices is required to gather industrial sensor data. This PhD study will research how to exploit emerging technologies, such as massive MIMO and reconfigurable intelligent surfaces (RISs) to accommodate such diverse and demanding performance requirements, including frequencies below 6 GHz (FR1) and in the mmWave bands (FR2). We aim to develop novel methods focusing on the physical communication layer, e.g., beam management with enhanced mobility and reliability, service-specific transmission point association, radio resource management and interference management and coordination. The study will also target the design or radio resource control mechanisms for multiplexing diverse services with distinct performance requirements relying on the use of machine learning frameworks.
How to Apply?
The application is only to be submitted online by using the “Apply online” button above.
- A cover letter describing the motivation for applying to the position.
- A Curriculum Vitae including education qualifications, research and industrial experience, awards and fellowships, any additional scientific achievements.
- A list of publications.
- A copy of the Master’s certificate (or equivalent).
- An official transcript of the completed subjects and grades achieved in the course of the Master’s programme.
- Documentation of English skills (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, CAE or CPE).
- Emails of at least 2 researchers familiar with the academic activities of the candidate, e.g. the advisor of your Master’s thesis.
- A one-page description of the research as envisioned by the candidate.
Appointment and salary as a PhD fellow are according to the Ministry of Finance Circular of 28 June 2019 on the Collective Agreement for Academiscs ind Denmark, Appendix 5, regarding PhD fellows, and with the current Circular of 11 December 2019 on the employment structure at Danish universities.
Carles Navarro Manchón
Department of Electronic Systems
Phone: +45 9940 8759
Ms. Lisbeth Diinhoff
The Doctoral School at The Technical Faculty of IT and Design
Phone: +45 9940 9589.
Post expires at 8:59am on Thursday June 24th, 2021 (GMT+9)