PhD scholarships for Graduates in Semiconductor Nanostructures for Extreme Dielectric Confinement of Light is available for the student with a background in electrical engineering, physics, or similar, and with experience in nanofabrication and optical characterization at DTU Fotonik, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
Deadline to Apply
May 24, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||– Electrical engineering|
|Scholarship||“According to standard norms”|
|Workplace||DTU Fotonik |
Department of Photonics Engineering
Technical University of Denmark
|Contract Period||3 Years|
|Starting date||Not Specified|
- Two-year master’s degree (120 ECTS points) or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master’s degree.
- We are looking for an ambitious PhD student with a background in electrical engineering, physics, or similar, and with experience in nanofabrication and optical characterization.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills are mandatory.
You will be working closely with other members of the NanoPhoton team to design suitable EDC structures for use as lasers or photodetectors, and you will be responsible for the fabrication and subsequent characterization of the devices. This will involve:
- Design and clean room fabrication of semiconductor nanostructures
- Optical characterization of the fabricated structures
- Interpretation of the recorded data in relation to theoretical models
- Collaboration with other NanoPhoton team members
How to Apply?
To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)
About the project/department
The two PhD projects are concerned with fabrication and characterization of EDC nanostructures and their operation as photodetectors and lasers. The majority of the project will be carried out in our state-of-the-art clean room facilities and optical laboratories, where you will work with dedication in order to break the current limits of nanophotonic integration. Candidates are invited to apply for one or both of the following projects
- III-V semiconductor nanostructures for Extreme Dielectric Confinement of Light:
Design, fabricate and characterize advanced Indium Phosphide EDC nanostructures with embedded layers of active quantum wells and quantum dots.
- Silicon nanostructures for Extreme Dielectric Confinement of Light:
Development of a novel photodetector based on two-photon-absorption in silicon and integration with field effect transistor for next generation on-chip interconnects.
- If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
- All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Prof. Kresten Yvind,
Tel.: +45 4525 6366.
Post expires at 8:59am on Tuesday May 25th, 2021 (GMT+9)