Associate Professor in International Development Studies, at Department of Social Sciences and Business (ISE), Roskilde University (RUC), Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 01, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||International Development Studies|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Department of Social Sciences and Business (ISE)|
Roskilde University (RUC)
|Contract Period||1 Year|
|Starting date||Dec 01, 2021|
Applicants must hold a relevant PhD degree. The ideal candidate matches the following characteristics:
- International research profile within international development studies with a particular focus on informality, governance, local politics, rural-urban linkages, resource extraction, and climate change
- Documented research production at an international level, including publications in the field’s internationally recognized journals/publishing houses
- Teaching experience in international development studies
- A keen interest and experience in project-based teaching and teaching in an interdisciplinary environment.
- The candidate should be able to document pedagogical qualifications, good teaching evaluations, and the ability to innovate within the educational field.
Moreover, the ideal candidate shall be enterprising and possess good communication skills, and be a visible involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
Responsibilities/ Job Description
The associate professor is expected to maintain a steady rate of publications as well as to make a contribution to the research culture in the department. The associate professor’s work primarily includes research and research-based teaching and supervision in ‘international studies’ and ‘global and development studies’ at BA and MA level, respectively. In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also involves sharing knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in the public debate. Furthermore, the associate professor is expected to attract research grants, manage research projects, provide guidance and supervision of PhD students and assistant professors, participate actively in research groups and development of new teaching activities, and engage in external fundraising and other activities to increase funds for the Department as well as take part in academic assessments and other tasks requested by the Department.
The ideal candidate is expected to:
- Demonstrate evidence of a steady rate of publications, a progression in publications over time, as well as current research activity in the form of recent publications at high international level,
- Accomplish research and engage in research cooperation meeting high international standards,
- Contribute to boost the international recognition of the research of the Department,
- Engage in external fundraising to increase funds for the Department,
- Play a role in developing the educational programmes of the Department,
- Contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department,
- Participate in the Department’s communication with the broader public,
- Take responsibility for the long-term well-being of the department and RUC at large
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at ISE, and
- Promote RUC’s academic reputation.
How to Apply?
To apply for the position please click the Apply Online button mentioned above
Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A complete list of publications
- A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
- If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
- Research plan (maximum 2 pages).
About the Department
ISE conducts interdisciplinary, collaborative and socially engaged research based on business studies, political science, economics, anthropology, sociology, legal studies, and development studies. It is an innovative and interdisciplinary university environment characterized by academic and methodological diversity in research and education. The department’s researchers put emphasis on research methodologies and they share a commitment to understanding businesses and society in diverse contexts of change and global engagement. We produce research at the highest international level that feeds into our educational programmes, while simultaneously leveraging our research to impact social, economic and political change. Research in the department is organised in research groups. The selected candidate is expected to work closely with for instance sociologists, economists, political scientists, and anthropologists in one of these groups. Read more at https://ruc.dk/en/department-social-sciences-and-business.
The employment is full time and you will refer to Head of Department Peter Kragelund. The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Dean of Social Sciences Peter Kragelund
Tel: +45 4674 3335
Associate Dean for Education Bodil Damgaard
Phone: +45 4674 2251
Post expires at 8:59am on Wednesday June 2nd, 2021 (GMT+9)