Associate Professor of Biophysical Chemistry, at Department of Science and Environment, Roskilde University, Denmark
Deadline to Apply
July 01, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||Biophysical chemistry|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Department of Science and Environment|
|Contract Period||Not mentioned|
|Starting date||Oct 01, 2021|
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent within chemistry. Qualifications within biophysical chemistry are required. In addition, applicants should have:
- experience with supervision of research students,
- experience with education in relation to projects and multidisciplinary work,
- experience with education in relation to course, lecture and practical laboratory experiment development and delivery,
- documented research and teaching qualifications corresponding to those achieved through satisfactory appointment as an Assistant Professor or equivalent in biophysical chemistry,
- The successful applicant must be qualified to teach at B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. levels, as well as supervising student-initiated project work in a multidisciplinary setting.
The ideal candidate shall be enterprising and possess good communication skills and is expected to be a visible, involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
The ideal candidate is expected to
- lead a research group in biophysical chemistry at an international level,
- attract external funding,
- participate in and supervise problem oriented student projects, at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level, as well as conduct lecture and laboratory based teaching,
- develop the chemistry curriculum,
- strengthen and/or establish a strong research network in Denmark, as well as internationally,
- collaborate across the department especially with molecular, medical and environmental biologists, the Center for Frustrated Molecular Interactions, and relevant areas of mathematical modelling, and
- be able to teach in English immediately, and within three years acquire proficency in Danish sufficient for particpation in departmental and university committees and meetings.
Responsibilities/ Job Description
The Associate Professor’s duties will comprise research at a high international level and a strong commitment and contribution to teaching in chemistry and interdisciplinary programs across the department. The position is open to applicants with research expertise in biophysical chemistry and the new Associate Professor will establish a research group working in areas related to the chemistry of biological systems or biological catalysis. The department is particularly interested in research themes that will complement ongoing activities in the chemistry group and foster new collaborative research at the department, especially with the disciplines of molecular, medical and environmental biology, mathematical modelling, the Center for Frustrated Molecular Interactions, Glass and Time, and education programs such as the Master program in Chemical Biology. Details about these areas and programs may be found on the University homepage.
The Associate Professor’s work will primarily include research, including publication/academic dissemination and scientific communication, and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations. In addition, the position also requires sharing knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate and outreach activities. Furthermore, the Associate Professor is expected to manage research, provide guidance and supervision of assistant professors and researchers as well as take part in academic assessments.
How to Apply?
To apply please click Apply Online button mentioned above. Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter including motivation for how the applicant’s profile matches the expectations and the position within research and education
3. Documentation of education
4. Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
5. A complete list of publications
6. A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
7. Research plan (maximum 3 pages)
About Research project
The Chemistry group conducts basic and applied research and teaches a range of topics, from the fundamental to the specialized, based around these activities. Some prioritized research themes of the group include the construction and characterization of natural and medicinal compounds (natural products, peptides, bioactive compounds and biomacromolecules), enzymatic and chemical catalysis, metabolomics and proteomics, sustainable organic synthesis reaction pathways, and drug stability and delivery systems. The department’s chemistry and biology laboratories are situated in a new building, acquired in 2016, equipped with modern infra-structure and state-of-the art instrumentation. This includes recently acquired NMR, mass spectrometry (LC- and GC-MS, including high resolution measurements and proteomics), and microscopy (AFM and confocal) instruments, together with calorimetry (ITC and DSC), chromatography (HPLC), and scattering (DLS, SAXS) instruments.
Roskilde University has a strategic focus on student recruitment, industrial collaboration and interdisciplinary science, and the Associate Professor must be willing to support this strategy and be motivated to develop new collaboration platforms. The Associate Professor will teach in an interdisciplinary environment and engage in problem-oriented project work with extensive student involvement and responsibility. The applicant must show a strong commitment to research-based teaching and be able to teach subjects central to the chemistry curriculum, especially molecular and macroscopic physical chemistry and general chemistry, together with experimental courses and projects.
About the Department
Department of Science and Environment is one of four departments at Roskilde University. The department conducts basic and applied research within chemistry, physics, medical biology, molecular biology, environmental sciences and mathematics. Bachelor programs are offered within these areas, as are interdisciplinary Master programs, such as Chemical Biology starting in 2022.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Dean of Natural and Mathematical Sciences Susanne Sørensen
Tel. (+45) 4674 2111
Head of the Chemistry Group William Goldring
Tel. (+45) 4674 2308
Post expires at 8:59am on Friday July 2nd, 2021 (GMT+9)