Assistant Professor Position in Mathematics is available at the Department of Science and Environment, Roskilde University, Denmark
Deadline to Apply
June 20, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|Position||Assistant Professor Position|
|No. of Position(s)||1 or 2|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Department of Science and Environment,|
Roskilde University, Denmark
|Contract Period||3 Year|
|Starting date||Sept 01, 2021 or ASAP|
- You must hold a Masters’ degree in mathematics and a Ph.D. degree within pure and/or applied mathematics.
The applicant must have qualifications in general mathematics and documented research experience within one or more of the following areas:
- Applied and/or fundamental mathematical research
- General mathematics
- Mathematical modelling
- Fundamental Statistics (possibly within biostatistics)
- At the time of appointment, successful candidates must be fluent in English for academic purposes.
- Documented teaching experience within one or more of the above fields will be seen as a strong advantage as will a keen interest and experience in project-based teaching and teaching in an interdisciplinary environment. .
- Documented experience with interdisciplinary research and interdisciplinary collaborations will also be seen as an advantage.
- The ideal candidate must be enterprising, possess good communication skills, and be a visible and involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- research topic
- scientific production at an international level
- research prospective and the ability to promote and utilize research results
- experience in teaching at the tertiary level
- other academic experience e.g. from organizing research conferences or seminars
- ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation
Responsibilities/ Job Description
- The assistant professor’s work will include research, obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication, and research-based teaching in mathematics and statistics courses and project supervision with associated examination obligations in collaboration with other natural sciences.
- In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also requires sharing of knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debate. The assistant professor will also to some extent take part in the department organization and administrative tasks.
The ideal candidate is expected to:
- Undertake course-work teaching offered by mathematics, including statistics/bio-statistics, and participate in and supervise problem oriented student projects
- Develop and support the section’s research fields including the field of interdisciplinary research by actively collaborating with other scientific fields within the department, for example molecular biology, medical biology, chemical biology or environmental biology
- Contribute to the development of the research profile of the department
- Maintain a significant record of publications
- Collaborate with colleagues in establishing a vibrant research community
- Participate actively in research networks and external research funding activities.
- Teach, supervise, and assess students at BSc and MSc levels. This also implies developing the field in relation to teaching
- As assistant professor, you are also expected to complete the educational training program for assistant professors at RUC (up to 220 hours). The training programme will give you pedagogical and didactic tools as well as familiarize you with the Roskilde University educational model called Problem oriented project learning (PPL).
How to Apply?
- To apply, please click APPLY ONLINE button mentioned above or go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
- Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter including how the applicant’s profile matches the position
- Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A complete list of publications
- A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
- If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
- A maximum of 2 pages describing the prospective research focus in the position
Potential applicants from outside Denmark will find information about life in Denmark (taxation, healthcare etc.) at www.lifeindenmark.borger.dk
Post expires at 8:59am on Monday June 21st, 2021 (GMT+9)