Assistant professor jobs in International Studies, at the Department of Culture and Learning, the Faculty of Humanities, Aalborg University, Denmark
Deadline to Apply
May 02, 2021 (23: 59 GMT +1)
|No. of Position(s)||1|
|Research Area||International Studies|
|Salary||According to standard norms|
|Workplace||Faculty of Humanities|
Department of Culture and Learning
|Contract Period||3 Years|
Appointment as an assistant professor requires academic qualifications at the PhD level, including an approved PhD thesis
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
- have a solid knowledge of international relations theory, democratic theory, and social movement studies.
- be acquainted with qualitative methodologies, and prepared for teaching and supervision in the areas of international history, international relations, international organizations, globalization studies, migration studies, social movements’ studies and potentially human rights.
- be able to demonstrate interest in intercultural educational milieus and be prepared to offer all teaching and supervision in English as well as participate in both the daily life of the education and research milieu in English.
Responsibilities/ Job Description
A position as assistant professor is a fixed-term training position which includes an obligation to carry out research and teaching activities. To a limited extent, additional tasks may be defined by the University. The appointment includes a requirement to attend a course in university pedagogy for assistant professors organised by the University.
In relation to research, the applicant is expected to:
- conduct internationally visible research in an area relevant to the position’s primary teaching areas as well as the position’s affiliation with the research group in Democracy, Migration and Society.
In relation to teaching, the applicant is expected to:
- undertake project supervision at different year levels.
- contribute to program administration; demonstrated interest and/ or experience in the area is advantageous. Applicants who are qualified to carry out teaching in other areas of the programs mentioned above should specify this in their application.
- at Aalborg University our learning approach is problem-based learning (PBL). Documented experience with this learning approach is therefore preferred, but is not a prerequisite
- the position is affiliated primarily to the Bachelor’s programme “Language and International Studies, English”, and secondly the Master’s programme “Culture, Communication and Globalization.” However, it may also include teaching obligations in other programmes under the Department of Culture and Learning.
In terms of personal qualities, the applicant is expected to:
- have strong interpersonal skills and to be able to participate in team teaching as well as the planning of teaching and research activities with colleagues.
- establish and maintain good relations with researchers with different cultural and political backgrounds.
The new employee will be affiliated to the Department’s Research Group Democracy, Migration and Society (DEMOS). This is a multidisciplinary group, spanning migration and social movement studies, international studies, studies in intercultural education, and rights and democracy studies.
How to Apply?
Your application including attachments must be sent electronically by clicking the “Apply online” link above. The application must be written in English.
The application must contain the following:
- Your CV
- A complete publication list and markings of the attached publications to be taken into consideration in connection with the assessment. No more than five publications may be attached.
- In case you attach joint, a co-author statement must be enclosed specifying your contribution to the joint work. The co-author statement must be signed by at least one of the co-authors. Template co-author declaration
- Documentation of your teaching qualifications Guidance Teaching portfolio
- Copies of your degree certificates (including Master’s and PhD certificates)
Employment is in accordance with the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities (the Appointment Order) and the Ministry of Finance’s current Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities. Employment and salary are in accordance with the collective agreement for state-employed academics.
Associate Professor and Section Manager Martin Bak Jørgensen
Tel: +45 2096 0725
Associate Professor Ben Dorfman
Tel: +45 9940 9179
Post expires at 8:59am on Monday May 3rd, 2021 (GMT+9)